Happy Birthday Stu

Just to keep the Picture Police happy...........

apple_crumble.jpg

Apple Crumble by Erika and Mizuki Ablett :D :wave:

So is that pic from the new camera phone, or your old one? The picture properties say KDDI-SN, so I know it's a cell phone (from the KDDI) but wasn't sure if the 'SN' indicates 'Sony'. ;)

And is the new one a camera with a phone, or a phone with a camera? :p Pretty
slick device either way.

It's from the new camera, but my daughter took it, and she did not hold it steady as she took it, so it is a bit out of focus.

It does not take as nice pics as my new Olympus camera, but way better than my old cell phone. This cell phone camera is about on par with most mid range point and shoot cameras.

The smile shutter setting is neat, it automatically focuses on a face, then when that person smiles, it takes the picture automatically, neat!

GPS walking and car navigation, and 3D navigation, so instead of looking at an overhead map, the view is what you should see as you stand on the ground, among the buildings. WAY COOL! :thumb:

Blue tooth, slide show picture player, digital TV, digital radio, this thing is loaded with functions, and, it is one clear sounding phone, works well in areas that my old cell did not get any signal!

WAY cool! :headbang:

I just wish that the menus etc were in English :eek:

Cheers!

You guys get all the cool toys over there. :D Sounds like a great little package. My associate Yutaro (who lives in Tokyo) showed me his phone on a recent visit here, and it's amazing how much more advanced the Japanese cell phones are than those in the US.

I've got GPS navigation on my new phone (BlackBerry Pearl 8110), and so far I really like seeing the live traffic conditions. I've only had it a few days, but it's already come in handy a couple of times. Not real easy (or wise) to drive while looking at the little screen, but I can use it for pre-trip planning when I need to go across town, though. (Of course your phone probably has a bigger screen than mine.)

I really like the nav system in my car, but it's a 2001 car with a DVD-based map from 2000, so it's not very up-to-date. I'd really like to see the traffic conditions while driving my car, but I'd have to add an aftermarket GPS, and the traffic service add-on is pretty pricey. I don't spend enough time on the freeways here to warrant the expense. For now, I'll make do with the small-screen version on the phone.

I'm also finding the voice recognition to be pretty handy for finding stores and other businesses. All in all I like the BlackBerry, but the main selling points for me were good reception and clear sound. Those were my main criteria...the rest is just icing on the cake.

It is funny that you mention the danger of using the navi while driving, the phone navi for driving is actually called "Passenger Seat Navi" and it warns you to make sure that only a "Passenger" in the car uses the navi not the driver :D
If you preset it for the drive, it is all voice commands, where and when to turn (in Japanese) so you could use it. The service is about $3 a month, and the time the handset is on, connected to the network charges you as well, do driving around all day with it on, could get expensive real quick. I find that the most difficult navigation points in Japan are the last mile to your destination, this is especially true in Tokyo, where the addresses make little sense at all, it is not uncommon to find #37 next door to #12, what happened to #13 to #36 is anyones guess :dunno: So what I usually do is just use the navi for the last mile or so.

If I were to buy a car navi system, I'd want one that is portable between vehicles, there is one system here, that is designed to pop on and off of a cradle, and you can put it it any car with the cradle (each cradle is wired in and has it's own GPS antenna) and even onto a motorcycle.

But for now, I'll use google maps and a good atlas, and then my cell navi for that last mile :thumb:

Cheers!

I had typed up a clever, well thought out and humorous birthday post. Apparently I forgot to click the Post button that day. I haven't had coffee yet this morning so I'll just leave it at a simple (and delayed) HAPPY B-DAY!