First Day at the New Job

Sounds like a productive first day. So did you offer to move the cars for them? :D

We've got an 'Art' person that purchases and hangs all the art at the institute. They let each employee pick their own piece of art here. When they move us around to new spaces, they actually have her come and move the art as well with us. She also works for the Nelson Atkins museum here in KC purchasing new pieces. What a job. I guess if she get's hit by a bus I'll have someone to refer now. ;)

I can't even imagine this!:huh:
A whole different world than mine.:thumb:
Congrats on the job, can see some possibilities with your talents, of things leap frogging to yet better opportunities for you.

Thanks for the good wishes, all.

Stu, the boss is one of my best customers, and he's already told me I should print up a few brochures showing my turned work in case I run into any likely prospects. He also asked if I was capable of making pedestals for displaying sculpture on. ;)

Should be an interesting ride...I played saw-man for a high end framing shop for a year or so, and though I try to limit my subjective critiquing to my own work, let me say, there were quite a few 'questionable' pieces come thru :rofl:
Congrats on finding some gravy for the bowl!

Right on. Congrats. Discreetly leave a brochure or two at every possible location where they might do some good. One of my neighbors who I went all the way through school with is a very successful artist and has been for decades. He was a starving artist till some "rich guy" saw one of his paintings and bought it, raved about it and then all his rich buddies had to have one, etc. etc.

I'm glad for you Vaughn, and while it is not the best job for you it is a job anyway and maybe it will lead to some other potential contacts or sales, who knows.

Does this mean you have to get up before noon? :rofl::rofl::rolleyes::p

OK Mr. Smartypants, I foresee a bad catch in your future. A really bad catch. :rofl: Worse than the getting up before noon, I can't go to bed at 6:30 AM anymore.

Another interesting day today. Got to drive a long pickup truck around the narrow winding streets in the Hollywood hills. Also got introduced to an interior designer who works with my boss from time to time. She likes wood things, and the boss made it a point to tell her about my work. She got one of my business cards, for sure. ;)

Tomorrow we go hang a surfboard on the wall at the Fox studios, as well as a couple other stops. Should be educational.

Good on ya Vaughn. Bet it feels great getting back to work. Think of all the doors this job can open up for you. :rolleyes:Hmmmm "Turning for the stars with Vaughn" sounds like a good TV series.:thumb::thumb: Hey ya never know, stranger things have happened in California.:D

I know how ya feel with the job Vaughn as I just landed some work here too after a long dry spell. Although I am glad that I have the lathe now as the down time worked into some good practice time turning. Still have lots to learn but it is fun.

Like with you every job has its perks and with my new one I scored some wood to turn from the job site. We are renoing a 128 yr old building with some old growth fir lumber. Figure the year of the lumber most be pretty old as some can live up to 1000 yrs. and scored some timber strand beams off cuts too. Now just have to find the time to turn it. Damn job interfering with the turning time. :eek::rofl::rofl:

I can't even imagine this!:huh:
A whole different world than mine.:thumb:
You should get some t-shirts printed up with some of your wonderful art on them, and your business name etc, never know, some art hanging client might be interested :D

Congratulations, Vaughn!!

I agree with Jonathan, but in a good way. I've read it many times that having the wealthy as clients can be a very good thing. (Would you rather have to sell 50,000 widgets per year at a buck each to make a living, 500 items at $100 each, or just 50 items at $1000 each!? I know what I'd choose!)

As for Stu's suggestion... I think a better idea would be for Vaughn to print up a portfolio (or two or three) and have them stuck behind the seat of that pickup truck. Sure a business card is a good idea, but they still have to decide to go logon to their computer and look you up. But if you hand them a portfolio all they have to do is turn the page.)

Again, congratulations and hope this works out for you! :thumb:

...art

Congratulations, Vaughn!!

I agree with Jonathan, but in a good way. I've read it many times that having the wealthy as clients can be a very good thing. (Would you rather have to sell 50,000 widgets per year at a buck each to make a living, 500 items at $100 each, or just 50 items at $1000 each!? I know what I'd choose!)

...art

I went the 5 widgets for $100,000 route. I'm not so sure it is the best route.

Good on ya Vaughn. Bet it feels great getting back to work. Think of all the doors this job can open up for you. :rolleyes:Hmmmm "Turning for the stars with Vaughn" sounds like a good TV series.:thumb::thumb: Hey ya never know, stranger things have happened in California.:D

I don't know... he may have some celebrity competition there... I understand that William H Macy is an accomplished turner... maybe Vaughn you could arrange a turning session with him??:dunno::dunno::rofl::rofl: