Friday 5/24/24

well let me just say another busy week end. Today I have an appointment to take care of another Boomer turning 65 and needing to get his Medicare insurance taken care of. Yes I am still in the business, how else could I afford my toys. Tomorrow we are going on a breakfast ride with the rider, should be fun Sunday is the usual Bingo. Monday the color guard is doing the honors at the local cemetery followed by a pancake breakfast @ the post and later in the day I will go to Sky Harbor Airport to pick up a special lady coming home from Morocco.

Got the mowing done yesterday. Between rain showers. Also sprayer roundup on weeds. Should look pretty good in a few days. Weeds are already turning brown. Daughter and grandkids coming down today to spend weekend. Should be fun. we'll see what happens. Maybe visits route 66 museum which just opened here in town. Need to look for tree trimmer to cut some large limbs off which hang close to house. Of course they are all busy as all get out with storm damage. One friend lost 15 big black walnut trees and she slept through the whole thing. Will recover some of cost with the log sales but won't make up for the lost shade and beauty.
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend and more.
David

Going to be an anxious weekend for me. I noticed that my well pressure tank developed a seeping leak a few weeks ago. Being remote requires doing any plumbing or electrical repairs yourself. Almost impossible to get a plumber or electrician around here to even return any calls. They are too busy chasing more lucrative new construction.

So I ordered a new pressure tank online and had it shipped to me via XPO. Suppose to be limited access delivery with a lift gate as I live up a winding dirt road. Of course a tractor trailer shows up which would never make it up to the house. I drove down with my pickup and we managed to get it into the truck bed.

I also bought a new tank manifold with a new pressure switch, upping the current 30/50 with a 40/60. I want a little more pressure in the house. I hope I don't start developing leaks in the plumbing requiring me to spend the next week fixing them.

Making changes to your water supply is always a stressful time. Nothing can test a marriage more then not having water in the house. I plan on filling up a few 5 gallon buckets just in case. I understand that not having a flushable toilet is grounds for divorce in some states.

Complicating this repair is that I want to install some panels behind where the tank sits. There was limited access where the tank was. Now is my opportunity. Also I want shift the tank to one side giving me more room in the mechanical room. I was going reconfigure the piping at the pressure tank to add connections for a water softener while the system is drained but decided I have too much on my plate that could go wrong, so I will wait and drain the system again in the future to complete that task.

Hauled in a hereford steer last night, woke up to one of the young holsteins standing in the backyard checking out the new guy! 3:45 pm park my bus at home and done for another year. Completing my 38th year of teaching. Tuesday is records day and then will come home and wash bus inside and out and then return it. Then the fun begins!!!!!!! Speaking of fun, those of you not on FB, Lou picked up a piece of plywood I had laid down for round bales to sit on. She found a nest of skunks!!! The mom sprayed her as she (the skunk) ran by Lou! I dispatched all six babies, still hunting mom skunk! Everyone stay safe and healthy. All veterans, thank you for your service, because of you I enjoy my freedom.

Mostly gardening, but need to pull the generator out of storage and see if it still works after ten years. Probably need a new battery at the minimum. It’s time to review hurricane prep and make sure I know where tarps and tie downs are hiding. Also stocking up on a few cases of water and batteries. I fear weird weather is coming this year.

Mostly gardening, but need to pull the generator out of storage and see if it still works after ten years. Probably need a new battery at the minimum. It’s time to review hurricane prep and make sure I know where tarps and tie downs are hiding. Also stocking up on a few cases of water and batteries. I fear weird weather is coming this year.
Good idea to get prepared. The weather guessers are predicting a busy season. Let's hope they're wrong (again).

After spending the past week recovering from pneumonia (which explained why I was breathing hard at the cabin last weekend), I'll be running my shooting club's monthly Range Day tomorrow. This time we got assigned one of the cowboy action shooting ranges, where they have a western town facade. Although we don't shoot cowboy style, we'll get to do lots of work on shooting from behind cover and shooting on the move. One of the main reasons for the club to exist is to practice that kind of stuff in a safe and supervised manner. One of the guys is bringing some steel targets to make things a bit more fun, too.

The rest of the weekend will just be taking things easy and doing as little as possible. ;) Probably do some grilling at some point in the weekend, too.

Last edited:
55 years, quite an accomplishment. congrats next weekend we are visiting my cousin whos parents are up(my aunt and uncle, my mothers sister), they are in for a wedding and baby naming, and we havent seen them since 2019. they just celebrated number 71.

my sister is coming tomorrow with 2 of her sons, and kids, my kids, we catered in food.
since Im not attending the baby naming next week, and will only visit my aunt and uncle, I decided Id make a small gift for my cousins kid, so what is that, my third cousin?
anyway, I dont scroll but did a small pattern, 2 elephants with 2 baby elephants as they now have 2 kids. I figured keep me busy for a day or so.,
I did it in 20 minutes, coated one coat of tung oil and its done. I gotta slow down to keep myself busy.
nothing else planned all week, the usual babysitting, have zero projects planned.

Got home from the Dr. office and picked up a prescription. They pulled blood to test for either Lyme's or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever for my wife, but the Doxycycline treats both. She just may have to take it longer depending on which it comes back as. Looks like I'm adding spraying the yard for ticks this weekend to my list of things to do. I usually have it done by now, but with all the rain we've had it's not been possible.

Got home from the Dr. office and picked up a prescription. They pulled blood to test for either Lyme's or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever for my wife, but the Doxycycline treats both. She just may have to take it longer depending on which it comes back as. Looks like I'm adding spraying the yard for ticks this weekend to my list of things to do. I usually have it done by now, but with all the rain we've had it's not been possible.
I need to get a test done. Took a couple of tics bites during turkey season and been feeling a bit slow lately.