Got The SawStop >> Modification Has Begun! <<

Stu, seeing all the talk about the Electrical requirements for the motor, I take it that there is NOT a motor made, or available there in Japan that is built to run on the local power, that would interchange with the motor that comes on the sawstop, am I correct? If there was such a motor available on the market there, it seems it would sure be best solution to change the SS OEM motor out. (I'm sure the answer is obvious, or you would have already thought of that, but I just had to ask anyhow).:rolleyes::D:D:D

What did you use for a subfloor?
Cheers!
Stu, 2x6 pressure treated wood shimmed in the odd place secured to the floor with long tapcon screws. 16 inch strips of 1.2 inch pink polystyrene insulation. Then Vapor barrier plastic (thick stuff) over the top followed by 3/4 inch fir plywood screwed down onto the 2x6's. They are placed flat by the way.
My very heavy jointer runs around on this with no problem.

By the way I did not have to do mine myself. I got this done by the guys who built my shop as a trade for the fact that they did not get my concrete floor flat in the first place. Real good freeby. Really good guys.

Bart, I've added the SawStop mobile base to my order, so I might just cut the rails off fairly short and then work on a quick connect rails set up for times I need the longer rail, and rotate the saw 90 degrees to have the space. The more I leave my table in this position, and get used to it, the more I'm liking it :thumb:

Norman, the sellers of Saw Stop here in Japan use this same motor, they just put a larger pulley on it to handle the 50Hz/60Hz difference in rpm.

Cheers!

Well the saga continues... :rolleyes:

We have been in contact with the brokers, they have been very helpful, I was told that the delivery charge would be $500, besides all the taxes and fees, so I had decided to pick the saw up myself. Once we got down to brass tacks, the actual delivery charge was more like $250, and they would unload it from the truck (lift gate) and have a pallet jack on hand to move it into the parking area, next to the dungeon hatch, so I decided let them deliver the saw. To rent a truck would cost me over $100 with gas etc, so I was not ahead that much.

We got a phone call asking for pictures to give the customs guys, as they don't know what the saw is, or the mobile base etc, etc..... :rolleyes:

We would get a final quote, once the customs guys decide on the taxes etc. but we had arranged for a delivery of March 9th, a Monday, but best day for me, and Jake can help out, as well as Alex, nice to have two extra sets of hands.

Well we got a phone call again today, the customs guys have decided that they have to come down to the broker's bonded warehouse to open the crate to take a look at what a tablesaw is...... :doh: :bang:

Now we are not going to be able to get the saw delivered on the 9th, it will have to be the 11th or later :(

I tell you, this really burns my toast, I have 9 out of 10 packages opened by customs, does not matter if it is from LV, Craft Supplies, or my family, 9 out of 10 get stopped and opened, so they take, on average, an extra week to get to me :bang: :bang:

I somehow must have gotten my name on some kind of list somewhere :dunno:

Oh well, it will come, but man, I need that saw last week!

Cheers!

That is the Pitts, Stu. Looks like Customs are a Pain in every country.:( I've had my share dealing with them over the years both here AND abroad, and the really disgusting thing is that almost everywhere, there is a total lack of efficiency, Or maybe I should really say they just have a "Don't care Attitude" toward doing their job, and will get around to an approval whenever the mood suits them, but definitely in No Rush.:bang:

That's going to mess up your Helper Schedules too, isn't it.

Oh well, so much for dealing with Gov't. Agencies.

Hi Stu.

I wonder why are you having so much problems with the customs, after all Sawstop have distributors in Japan or so they say in their web page.

Is it that you got a special deal on the saw somewhere else and you've got to pay import taxes? I don't recall reading it on your posts:dunno:

This trouble with customs goes back 10 years, or more.

Toni, I have to pay all the import taxes etc, but still at the end of the day, I'll be ahead at least $3000 or $4000, in fact the guy I talked to at the company that imports the SawStop told me that I should just import it myself, as his company's prices were way too high, and as I speak English, importing it from the US, or Canada should not be a problem for me.

I hope it is just a delay :dunno:

Hey Stu, I guess this Monday is off then eh. That's too bad about the red tape, sometimes common sense just flies out the window and all you can do is take it in stride. Anyway I have several free days that I can offer a pair of hands. The 10th, 12, 13, 16 and 19 are all good for me so just let me know.

Thanks guys!

Alex, I did call you and leave voice mail.

On the 5th, the broker will phone, and we should be able to set a date, it should be the 12th or the 13th, I hope!

Cheers!

Stu,

I am 6'2" tall. I also bought the SawStop mobile base.

I found the saw too low for me. I added a 3/4" ply and 1/2" mdf layer in the in the mobile base to lift the saw up about 1 1/2". I think it really made a difference for me.

So then I also had to shim up the extension table with same amount of material.

check out pics... ( which I am sure I have already posted )

You are going to love this saw !!!! I smile every time I turn it on.

Bartee, I have to figure out a final height for my saw as well, I want to be able to use the SawStop for outfeed for the two bandsaws if needed.

I think the saw will be here on the 12th, if the customs guys have had a good enough look at it :rolleyes:

I've been clearing the decks, getting ready..........

decks_cleared_north_1.JPG decks_cleared_north_2.JPG
Looking North

decks_cleared_south_2.JPG decks_cleared_south_1.JPG decks_cleared_south_3.JPG
Looking South

There is so much space in the middle of the Dungeon I felt like getting out my hockey stick and shooting some pucks around :D

Just a few more days, I think I have it all figured out, let me explain the steps, I have mapped out.

The charter that is delivering the saw knows they are delivering to a residence, no loading dock, so they have a lift gate, and they have promised to have a pallet jack as well to move the saw, on the pallet, into the parking area of my building.

My Dungeon is the back half of the underground section of the building, there is a second hatch for the front section of the underground, I call the section the "Annex", over that hatch, there is a hook to hang a hoist on as well, up in the ceiling.
jointer_lift1.jpg
Here is a pic of my jointer when I unloaded it from the trailer.

I'll get the saw dropped there, then we will unpack it, I imagine it will look something like this..........

bartee_delivery_1.JPG
I borrowed one of Bartee's pics :)

When we get it all unpacked, we will tip it up and put some spacers under it, then slide the cargo straps I've got, they are rated for 1.2 tonnes each, so they should be fine for the saw. The saw will be lifted, and then put on a large cart we have, that is rated to 300 Kg (660 lbs). I'll then put the chain hoist on the hook over the Dungeon hatch. Next I'll install my two small bridges in the hatch, I've made them from 2x6s with the right spacers so they sit level with the floor, each bridge is two 2x6s, one flat, on top, and one screwed and glued to the underside to make a "T", for strength. The cart with the saw on it will be rolled onto the bridge, and then the hoist will lift the saw from the cart, the cart will be removed, as well as the bridges, and then the saw will be lowered into the Dungeon.

I hope to have Alex and Jake here to help me, one guy down in the Dungeon to help guide the saw on the trip down, and two guys up top one to guide, and one to work the hoist.

The two cargo straps will go around under the saw, and I'm thinking I'll also use two other straps horizontally on the saw to hold the cargo straps in place, so they cannot shift.

I've worked this scenario out in my mind over and over for the last two months, well nearly three months, and I think I've got it all covered......... I hope I have :D

What do you think.............?

Cheers! :wave:

Hey Stu

This is getting pretty exciting. :D I think you have it sorted so it will go smooth as a hot knife through butter.

The only thing that keeps coming to my mind is that floor man. Looking at how you have cleared it and given the length of future time you are going to spend down there along with considering you have much of your stuff on mobile bases, I still say cover the floor.

You could move some stuff over to one side, then put down 2x6 pressure treated lumber, space it 16" inches apart and put down some of the solid insulation. Draw a piece of vapor barrier over and cover with 3/4 ply.

You could consider doing it in 4x8 sections or the nearest equivalent in Japan and then build a ramp, roll some of the carts with their "occupants" back onto the finished piece and then do more. In this way you could get to have a floor that is off the cement floor and not only warm but easy on the legs and feet.:p

The experience is unbelieveable. I compare mine to my basement and what a difference.

Looking at how you have cleaned the place out right now, I urge you to think about it. I would help you willingly if I was over in Japan.;)

Hey Art

Great minds think alike, fools never differ.:rofl::rofl:

My only concern with dri core panels would be weight issue. With some of the beasts Stu has in the Dungeon I think the Dri core would collapse? Have not used the stuff but plan on considering it for my basement. When the recession is over.:rofl: