Moving Adventure

Dave Hoskins

I swear I would prefer 11 cold enemas to having to move. The first, yes the first, mover showed up on Tuesday and they were a bust and rather stupid. When we came to the stuff in the shop to move, he looked at my air compressor and said it was full of gas. I said it did have some air still in it but that was no big deal. I think the guy thought I compressed some kind of explosive gas or something in it. They backed out. Which I turned out to be highly grateful for. The second mover came on Wednesday morning and they were fabulous. Two very nice hard working Hispanics who took all precautions necessary, wrapped everything that needed wrapping and so forth. It took them two loads as they only had a smaller truck but that's ok. All got done. Now it's putting things back together and getting used to everything. They shop, severely downsized with be the last thing to get functional. But, it will all happen in the time needed. Or something like that. :rofl::rofl:

2004 for us. My next move will likely be to either "The Home" or "The Farm."
2005 here and I agree on destination of the next one.

Dave,
At least you didn't have the experience I had with a "professional" move.... I worked for a division of the parent company and in 1992 I was transferred to Dallas from the Houston office, they sent out packers to pack the house, but didn't wait for them to finish before they sent the moving truck... the packers moved about half the kitchen and both bathrooms and a few other things to the garage to finish packing as the movers were loading the truck.... I wound up with about half a dozen or more boxes all marked "Garage - miscellaneous".... I think the coffee maker wound up in one of those boxes along with the entire contents of the master bath.... anything we could find for a couple of years, we used the standing joke -- it's in a box marked "garage - Miscellaneous"....

Thanks everyone. It is going, though I ain't so sure how smooth it is. :rofl: With Belinda back at her job, it's just me and the dogs getting done what we can. It will happen, just slowly. The biggest obstacle is the right knee has just about crapped out right now. So I can only go in spurts. Just another minor inconvenience.

"The biggest obstacle is the right knee has just about crapped out right now. So I can only go in spurts."

Are you talking about two different things? :rofl:

Back when I thought I would have a funeral, always said Lou Ann would schedule my funeral for 10 am so the auction could start at 12 sharp!!!

You are dealing with moving, something I hope to never do again in my lifetime. Glad to hear it is going as well as it can. Take care and take time to enjoy.

As far as I know, insurance companies ask you how many time you’ve moved in order to assess the risk of having a stroke or heart attack, it is one of the most stressing events in anyone’s life.
It certainly is stressful, Toni. A few years ago, my wife, sons and I moved some older family members four times in one year, sometimes with the “help” of other family members working against us. One move was actually on Christmas Eve. I don’t know how my wife or I didn’t have a stroke.
I hope to never go down that road again and resolve to never put our sons in such a position.

My last house was the longest I had stayed in one place, 11 years. Even as a kid, my dad built a new house every 5 years, 20 moves so far, two states. Still not finished moving, lots of stuff in storage yet.

Four moves since I left home for college. It will be forty years next spring since we moved to this old farm. There’s still so much to do!

Looking back, it’s remarkable how what seemed like a minor decision at the time, can send you down a completely different life path.

Been here 16 years. Don't plan on moving again, willingly.

Not sure how many times i've moved. Moved around a bunch in my 20's due to college, jobs, but once I landed in Ca. in 94, only been 3 places.