New Boat and Fifth Wheel Rig

Notice that the safety chains didn't reach, so he isn't using them. That hook-up should last him at least a 1/2 mile before it disintegrates and he should have the chains hooked up for that. That caster wheel is not designed to go over about about 1 mph.

Can I watch?

Charley

I'm a little worried that my car might not have enough weight (or brakes) to keep the whole rig from rolling down the ramp when I launch the boat. :D

One of the best sources of entertainment for me has been sitting near a boat ramp and watching what goes on.
At a busy boat ramp the show is almost without coffee breaks on the weekends.

Charley
A good friend of mine many years ago had a place on Lake Of the Ozarks, it was right across from the boat ramp. His main entertainment was to set out on his porch and watch the spectacle.

One day the boys and I pulled back into the cove where the ramp is. There was a boat floating oddly and a guy standing next to it. As we idled toward it I asked the boys if they noticed anything unusual about the picture. They looked puzzled and I said the guy was standing knee deep in 8' of water. Then they saw it. The story we got from the spectators was that the guy was in the boat and had his wife backing him in. She was having trouble and he was yelling at her mercilessly. Then she got it in a straight line and gunned it in reverse, swam to shore and told him to have fun boating. He ultimately ran the tow truck cable through the windows and the tow truck pulled the mess out crushing the posts and windshield. I'm pretty sure there was more damage. He wasn't yelling any more.....

Alan

A boat is primarily a hole in the water that you throw money into.

A few years back, (1984-5 or so) my business partner bought a new boat and essentially gave me his old boat.
An older but still pretty nice tri-hull with an 85 HP motor that ran pretty good. First I had to put a new floor in the boat, new carpeting, new seats, then a new power pack on the motor, then then had to dismantle the steering cable and rework it so I could steer.... when I got transferred to Dallas area, took the boat and discovered I needed a new power pack and wiring harness.... when I was transferred back to Houston, I left the boat in Dallas.... A free boat cost me somewhere close to $1500 and I only got to use it about 3 or 4 times...

The two happiest days of a man's life, 1. when he gets his new boat.... 2. when he sells his new boat.

I've been around boats for much of my life. I've had four myself. Unless you can work on them and fix them (both in the driveway and on the water...) they are going to be aggravating and expensive. It's a lot like any other hobby. You can't just finish using a circular saw and leave it outside for six months, come back and expect it to work like new. Then there is a time to trade in an old sows ear for a new silk purse.

Alan