New Shooting Board

Bill Satko

Built a new shooting board specifically for my mitre plane. I like the design which was inspired by Paul Sellers and Charles Hayward.

Most of the work was done using hand tools including all the grooves. The grooves were cut with a large tenon saw, then the waste chiseled out and finished with a router plane. The wood is alder. Tested it out and the results were dead accurate.

IMG_1571.jpgIMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1572.jpgIMG_1573.jpgIMG_1574.jpgIMG_1575.jpgIMG_1576.jpg

New home: under my bench with other fixtures.

IMG_1578.jpg

For some reason all my projects take a winding path. Building the shooting board, I wanted to do as much as possible using hand tools. I had some 1 1/2 thick alder left over from a project. The width was wider than the capacity of my bandsaw, so I decided to rip it by hand.

I didn't get far before realizing I needed to sharpen the rip saw. That then morphed into refurbishing the saw. Nothing drastic, just cleaning the blade and handle. It just illustrates how my time goes in my "shop". I go in with the idea of doing a certain thing, and by the end of the day I am lucky if I even get to what I thought I would be doing.
IMG_1568.jpgIMG_1562.jpgIMG_1561.jpgIMG_1564.jpgIMG_1563.jpgIMG_1565.jpgIMG_1567.jpgIMG_1566.jpg

...I didn't get far before realizing...That then morphed into...It just illustrates how my time goes in my "shop". I go in with the idea of doing a certain thing, and by the end of the day I am lucky if I even get to what I thought I would be doing.

That happens to me, too - a lot! Seldom do I get into something in the shop before it morphs into a completely unrelated task/project. Eventually (sometimes?) I do get the original task/project finished, though.

well done bill what did you use to refurbish the saw the black powder?

I just used some Norton very fine synthetic steel wool and WD-40. The slurry you see is what was on the saw. It might have been that someone sprayed some black rust inhibitor on it. The surface of the blade was very rough and didn't make for a smooth stroke. That and the fact the saw was not it's sharpest. It works real nice right now!

I really like it, but am afraid the precision required to do it using hand tools would be a bit beyond me, I might have to cheat a little if I steal the design :D. I've made a couple ad-hoc ones with the guide just screwed in place, the groove design like you made would imho be a whole lot more rigid and stable in use. Glue can of course fix that but you're design also has the benefit of allowing the guides to be replaced easily if they get dinged up and arguably packs down neater than a completely fixed design.