Takenaka Carpentry Tools Museum Video

I have learned to marvel at traditional Japanese craftsmanship. I even bought a few Japanese tools in hopes they would help me improve my skills. A fine tool in the hands of an average craftsman is just an average tool whereas a master craftsman can make virtually any tool sing.

I have been studying traditional Japanese wooden tableware for almost 2 years now. My interest in this subject was piqued because these items, plates, bowls, platters, cups, glasses and bowls on stands etc. were created by craftsmen on the lathe. Some of these designs have been in use for hundreds of years and were turned by master craftsmen long before powered machines were available. I have been trying to reproduce some of these objects with my modern tools and skills and the process has made me painfully aware of how much better are the skills of these Japanese masters. But in the trying we get better ourselves.

I do appreciate videos such as this which are reminders of how much we have to learn and that process is beneficial to us all.

A couple of years ago I was working in Shin-Kobe where this museum is located, well I was working about an hour drive out of Shin-Kobe.
I worked there for about a week, each day I'd get dropped off by the van at Shin-Kobe station and walk to my accommodations, I'd walk right past this museum every day for a week. They close at 4 PM with 3:30 PM being the latest they will allow you to enter. Each night for a week I would walk by at about 6:30 PM, so they were closed.
On the last day of the job I made damn sure I was back in Shin-Kobe just after lunch, it was maybe 1:30 PM, my shinkansen left the station at 4:30 PM so I figured I'd have 2-1/2 hours to explore the museum, except they are closed on Mondays and I did not know that...
Sure looks nice from the outside LOL
Great video, but it needs to be about an hour longer with narration.
Cheers!