Tide is changing

Toni to iterate Darrens thoughts, sounds like good ideas for hobbyist , small shops starting out.
In a busy working shop all theses ideas are are in place of thought of on an ongoing bases.
The size of the shop and the amount of working the shop dictates the origination. In my shop it can seem like chaos any given day LOL
I know more space would give us breathing room for a while anyway.

Gonna have to start say'n Jarods shop pretty soon....lol. It's gonna be hard to let go, I can tell that from 2000 miles away.
You are so right about that. We'll be 5.5 hours sound and a trip up once a moth to pickup Porcelain, art or other gilding projects is doable.
Not sure how Jimmy will take the move. I'll have to keep her caged for a few weeks till she understands the situation.
But nothing will be happening for at least 6 months.

Jarrod has come a long way just from what I have heard through this forum. You and Shelly ought to be proud of all of your kids, but a father son that can work together and continue on in the same shop/career has to be so rewarding to you. My dad and I were close at times, but could not ever work together comfortably. I knew continuing the gas station/repair shop would not be a positive in my life. I would have caught heck if I even changed the color of the men's restroom!

Toni, I am glad my last name starts with an S, that is the only thing I have in common with your list of S's!!! :dunno: :rofl::rofl: My problem is I don't know what my next project could be. I used my cordless sawzall to trim a foundered pony (cut off its skis) last fall. I just bought a new tool for breaking the bead on my rear tires on my John Deere and I will be patching the rim and painting and remounting the tires this spring. 4 of the 5 grandkids are in 4H woods, recycling and metal projects and next year all 5 will be in 4H. When they are with me doing their projects it is busy and quite varied at times. I am working on getting things more organized.

I think I’m stuck getting past steps 1, 2, and 3. The furtherest I’ve made it is step 3 a few times, but I’m worn out after that and don’t want to do the other two. :D

I’m seriously joking, I could see this helping a lot for someone that has a focus on their hobby. I have a hard time purging things as I seem to always justify it’s being for another project I may want to do.

I have been successful in separating hobbies and trying to keep those setup in specific areas or containers to have things at hand for them.
I stumble and fail through step 1, and then attempt to do steps 2 and 3.

Looking forward to a nice warm day where I can open the garage, put the pickup right there and work on step 1, getting rid of the un-needed.

My partner when we had our company together accused me of working in "Organized chaos".... I hated to file and often had 50 or 60 or more file folders on my desk/table at any given day... I knew where each file was stacked. I mentioned I needed another table, he laughed and said I would just have more room to stack folders... that's when he said I worked under organized chaos.
When I retired from my last job another company, I had to spend a full day just filing what was on my desk and to write some sort of manual for what my job entailed.
I've been retired for 17 years and my study/office still has a chaotic decor. My shop is even worse.

Uhmmmm.... This is giving me an idea for the next challenge. Tidy up your shop!! Make some "before" pics and post them from the same angle with the "after" ones side by side. The prize is the result itself!
Please! Please! do not push each other in signing in! :fetch: I have not opened the registration yet!! ;);) Probably no one will participate
I think it would be easy for Glenn to become confused when posting his pictures, as to which picture was the before and which was the after.

I don’t know if any of you is aware of the 5S method. It has been applied in many companies, with different results depending on the company and the comitment to it. However, it can also be applied to particular households if one wants to. But it takes effort and comitmment. And if you ask if I have applied it to my shop, my answer is NO, but I want to, and I am selfconvincing myself that I have to. So here I post it for those who might want to clear up some room in their shops and get rid of stuff.
The 5S quality tool is derived from five Japanese terms beginning with the letter "S" used to create a workplace suited for visual control and lean production. The pillars of 5S are simple to learn and important to implement:

• Seiri: To separate needed tools, parts, and instructions from unneeded materials and to remove the unneeded ones.
  • Seiton: To neatly arrange and identify parts and tools for ease of use.
  • Seiso: To conduct a cleanup campaign.
  • Seiketsu: To conduct seiri, seiton, and seiso daily to maintain a workplace in perfect condition.
  • ****suke: To form the habit of always following the first four S’s.
Below, the Japanese terms are translated into the English language version of the 5S’s.

JapaneseTranslatedEnglishDefinition
SeiriorganizesortEliminate whatever is not needed by separating needed tools, parts, and instructions from unneeded materials.
Seitonorderlinessset in orderOrganize whatever remains by neatly arranging and identifying parts and tools for ease of use.
SeisocleanlinessshineClean the work area by conducting a cleanup campaign.
SeiketsustandardizestandardizeSchedule regular cleaning and maintenance by conducting seiri, seiton, and seiso daily.
****sukedisciplinesustainMake 5S a way of life by forming the habit of always following the first four S’s.

Obviously these do not apply to Glenn, who is an example to follow In many aspects.
Toni,

YES - YES - YES

I think it is very difficult to really grasp the 5S plan if you have never been trained in HOW to do it. It is really a lot of work and a lot of premeditated planning.

I have been involved in several Kaizan events and been through several training sessions.
That was done on an industrial scale.
We went as far as to video the entire event, so we could watch it and see how we could have done better, for next time.
Japan does these things at Toyota, which is seriously larger than the manufacturing plants I have worked in.
I am pretty sure VW and Bosch (Bosch is an ENORMOUS factory) also do it.

You can do it piece by piece, but the best way is the entire shop all at one time. Again, with a premediteted plan.

I think lots of us have at one time or another done scale paper cutouts of shop machines on the floor space or done it in CAD.
That's all good but that is only a piece of 5S

5S is about all the "STUFF", clutter, junk.

Another big point in organizing the shop is POU Point Of Use

If you need a 30mm or 21mm open end wrench - cut off the box end - make it short so that you do not over tighten the collet - and put the wrench right where you NEED it to be.

This is the TOP drawer in a cabinet I make for my CNC machine.
EASY access - ONLY what I need is in that drawer. This is my third iteration of this drawer.
IMG_0581.JPGIMG_0582.JPGIMG_0583.JPG
You can see the spindle RIGHT there, where I change the tools.

I am kinda happy with it, but it could be improved.

I have 5s'd my entire shop twice.
I need to do it again maybe 2 more times.

I do not store any wood in my shop.

I think it would be easy for Glenn to become confused when posting his pictures, as to which picture was the before and which was the after.

Same problem in my shop, but for entirely the reverse reason... .... ... 🙄

On a related note though I have become quite fond of "task specific tooling". I think that is one area that's not TOO hard to do piecemeal. I have all of the wrenches, etc.. for my tablesaw/shaper collected near it (in a rather less tidy fashion than Leo I admit... but I'm working on it..).

I do not store any wood in my shop.

Where do you store all the offcuts then ... :whistling:😬

I spent the last 5-8 years of my "working" life "hoarding" materials, not just wood, but HDU, Alupanel, Cherry ply, exotics, slabs, aluminum, steel, etc.

I keep offcuts in plastic garbage barrels with good fitting covers.
I keep one just outside my shop door. When it's full I pull it out next to my firewood and put an empty in that spot.
I will cut up anything I can find - remove all nails, etc.
I generally fill 3 - 6 or 8 barrels every year.
I burn it in spring and fall for heat.
When I need a small piece of wood I look in the barrels.
Oak, Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Pine, MDF, Plywood.

I have a 10x20 shed that is stuffed with all the good stuff.
I have a 8 x 16 covered and stickered with Red Oak
I also have some LARGE slabe of Live Oak
I also have a good hoard of logs for projects under cover.

I don't need to buy wood or other materials any longer.
I can't afford to now anyway.

Maybe I should 5s my materials.