Adult Onset ADHD, Or, What the heck have I done!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I swear I had my shop 'relatively' shaped up yesterday. There was nothing on the workbench, nothing piled on the MAPLE BOARDS THAT ARE PART OF MY DINING ROOM TABLE PROJECT!

And yet, a rat. Yes, a small vermin, caused to to start to do a just a little cleaning yesterday. This caused me to rip out some useless metal shelves, some useless wall cabinets. I also moved my gun safe, and apparently exploded a ton of junk all over my shop all in the name of 'organization'.

Well, after a day that took me from 9:00am till 3:00pm of running errands and stuff, I did manage to get the basics for my shelf system in place.

Tomorrow, maybe I'll actually make some darn shelves and get the junk off of the places it doesn't belong and back on to some shelves.

If I'm really lucky, I might even be able to clear out enough room to get my inherited radial arm saw out in the shop and start using it...

Oh yeah, I picked up some more rat traps. Got one of the suckers last night, we'll see how tonight works out for them...

shelves_01.jpg

shelves_02.jpg

shelves_03.jpg

shelves_04.jpg

Looks like a normal shop to me Brent.:rofl::rofl: If you do decde to use something to cotrol the rat problem just make surethere are no small holes in walls or anything they can crawl into . Nothing worse than trying to track down the smell of a dead rat that crawled up into your floor joists and died.:eek::doh:

Brent,
I use some "decon" stuff that comes in little blue pellets. Supposedly they take it back to the nest and the whole family feasts on it and it wipes out the nest. It dehydrates them so there is no order they just shrivel up.

I'd be careful about using that with the dogs and cats around, though.

I'd be careful about using that with the dogs and cats around, though.

Yup. I'm also curious, does anybody know what would happen to say a hawk or an owl if they ate a rodent that was killed by the poison?

I know it's not good for the cats and dogs, so I generally don't use it and just stick to the traps where the pets can get to them.

Yup. I'm also curious, does anybody know what would happen to say a hawk or an owl if they ate a rodent that was killed by the poison?

I know it's not good for the cats and dogs, so I generally don't use it and just stick to the traps where the pets can get to them.

Most problably it would be poisoned as well, there are other types of traps that consist of a cardboard box with an opening on each side with an adhesive coating inside. They are placed on the joint of the floor with the walls, as mice and rats always walk following them.
As it is like a tunnel they get inside and get stuck on them, the more they struggle the more they get stuck, eventually they die from thirst. It is not a merciful way to kill them but it is completely safe.:dunno:

Oh, and the funny thing is I use a bucket for giving bucky water. Try to empty it and refill it daily.

There has been a couple of times where I've found a drowned mouse floating in the bucket in the morning...

rats are smart. They arent field mice.
if theres a food source, you will never get rid of them.
Make sure there is absolutely nothing they are feeding on.
Otherwise, you can buy traps, poison, etc..the only way youre going to get rid of them is by shooting them or spearing them.

Take a walk around here. You can go for miles in the desert and there are nothing but little holes where I'm sure critters of all kinds live.

It's folly to think you could ever win the war against the vermin. The best i can hope for is a draw... There will always be rats, mice, ground squirrels, and snakes looking to make a living. All I can hope for is to keep it to a minimum.

I do find the lizards pretty cut and cuddly though, cause they eat the bugs, and not the tomatoes... :thumb:

rats are smart. They arent field mice.
if theres a food source, you will never get rid of them.
Make sure there is absolutely nothing they are feeding on.
Otherwise, you can buy traps, poison, etc..the only way youre going to get rid of them is by shooting them or spearing them.

Oh, and I do have my pellet rifles sighted in pretty good now...

Well, I did manage to get the new shelves up and pretty well loaded down. I've still got a few of the shelves empty, and managed to empty out part of another shelving unit.

Biggest thing is I got the project cleared off, the tablesaw cleared off, and the workbench pretty much cleared off. Just have to figure out where I have room to hang my hammers. :huh:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• shelves_05.jpg
    shelves_05.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 27
  • shelves_06.jpg
    shelves_06.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27