5' x 5' CNC Router Build

Nothing too exciting tonight, just stringing the spaghetti on. Other than connecting the VFD and some jumpers on the main breaker, most of the high voltage is ran. I've got a DIN mounted 5v power supply coming tomorrow for power to the main controller board and the VFD Analog board. I'm going to print a cover for the EFI filter to protect from the high voltage there.
2020-01-30 21.32.23-1.jpg

I got the DIN 5v power supply today, which will power the controller, and also some end blocks to lock the din connectors in place. I installed the 5v supply, then added 3 extra DIN terminal blocks that will be energized by the single pole sub breaker switch (110v). This will allow me to split out power to the 5v ps, computer, monitor, fan, and coolant pump.
2020-01-31 21.12.37.jpg 2020-01-31 21.15.26.jpg

I also finished wiring the power supplies to the stepper drivers. I'm trying to connect each set of wires end by end to the right length, and wire tie them as I go to keep it clean and organized.
2020-01-31 22.14.25.jpg

Next up will be wiring from the controller to the drivers...just eating the elephant one bite at a time. ;)

Got some 22 awg shielded wire in the mail today, so spent the night wiring up the logic side of the drivers to the controller BOB.
2020-02-10 21.28.42.jpg

Also started running the wires to the VFD, will finish those up later this week. After that I have the motor cabling to wire, the main plug/breaker to finish wiring, and a few 110v outlets, then it will be ready to start testing out and configuring software.

Thanks guys!

So after wiring all of them I was thinking maybe I messed up by making the dual motors my Y axis. Normally the long side of the cnc would be considered the X Axis and if I were to expand it down the road, then Y would be the long axis.

However, it's a square table, so I think the argument is mute. I also think from a usability stand point, I'd rather not fight the gantry trying to home/align the machine to my datum point. I could stand at the end of the table in the current configuration and easily access and see where the spindle is in relation to my work.

Besides, if I did decide to expand it down the road, it would be as simple as swapping a couple of wires around.

Thanks guys!

So after wiring all of them I was thinking maybe I messed up by making the dual motors my Y axis. Normally the long side of the cnc would be considered the X Axis and if I were to expand it down the road, then Y would be the long axis.

However, it's a square table, so I think the argument is mute. I also think from a usability stand point, I'd rather not fight the gantry trying to home/align the machine to my datum point. I could stand at the end of the table in the current configuration and easily access and see where the spindle is in relation to my work.

Besides, if I did decide to expand it down the road, it would be as simple as swapping a couple of wires around.
to me the left to right is always been the "X" axis and the forwards and backward the "Y" axis at least that's the way I have treated it for many years. So in my case the Y axis will be a dual and the gantry will be the X

to me the left to right is always been the "X" axis and the forwards and backward the "Y" axis at least that's the way I have treated it for many years. So in my case the Y axis will be a dual and the gantry will be the X
Yeah, on my old cnc I've always worked from the side of the machine and the table length has been my X, and the gantry is has always been in the way. I'm just rotating that around since, like you, I'll be working mostly from the end on this one.

Spent a couple of hours this holiday wiring up a 220v plug where the cnc will live, just outside my office, where the old one sits now.
2020-02-17 12.27.20.jpg

I wired up the male plug that will be mounted to the cabinet and got the main power connections made.
2020-02-17 16.57.42.jpg

I really like these pin terminals, they make the screw terminal connection nice and clean.
2020-02-17 15.19.24.jpg

Here is is lit up like a xmas tree. I still need to make the final vfd power connections and make up the cables for the motors.
2020-02-17 17.02.55.jpg

I mostly worked on some labeling tonight.
2020-02-18 22.19.20.jpg 2020-02-18 21.42.21.jpg

I printed up a cover for the EMI filter to cover it and the terminals, since its 220v.
2020-02-18 21.06.04.jpg 2020-02-18 21.06.18.jpg

I also removed the front cover of the VFD to see what cable the front controller uses. I've ordered a 1 meter 10 pin ribbon cable and am printing up an enclosure for the controller to go into outside of the cabinet so I can make manual adjustments if need be and to see the rpm and amps for the spindle.
2020-02-18 21.20.40.jpg 2020-02-18 21.20.48.jpg 2020-02-18 21.20.34.jpg

Thanks! It's been 15 years since i built my first cnc. I spend a lot of time looking for old schematics and details about it when i have to work on it. A little time spent now will save a whole bunch down the road from what I've learned. ;)

I plan to print out some of the settings and notes to keep in a binder in the cabinet.

I received the nutsert (rivet nut) tool and nutserts to start working on the enclosure. First up will be attaching some casters to the bottom, then cutting holes for the power and motor connectors.

I plan to have a monitor riser attached to the back of the enclosure, off of it I'll mount the VFD's control, which I printed up a mount for.
2020-02-19 21.22.28.jpg

2020-02-19 21.23.27.jpg

2020-02-19 21.24.32.jpg

Spent about an hour tonight soldering up patch cables. I got the 5 motor cables done to run from the panel to the back of the cabinet.
2020-02-20 20.40.12.jpg

I also got some 16 awg double shielded cable in for the spindle. Problem is that it's about twice the diameter of the end of the connector with all the sheathing, braiding, and the insulation. I may be able to get the wires only in the end of the connector by opening the thru-hole, but final assembly may be an issue. I have another connector on order, but I guess I do have a little metal lathe if I have to make a new connector end. Another option would be to locate the vfd on the carriage, then a smaller wire between the vfd and spindle could be used.