Drones

One of the things about flying a drone is the ability to do aerial photography and I am in the learning phase of getting to do it on this drone. There a quarry a ways away from my house so yesterday I flew out to it to get some idea as to how big is was. one of the scary things is the proximity of the homes are to the actual excavation. One good rein storm and those folks are gonna be down in the quarry. Here is a video I shot showing the quarry and the surrounding area. The cool thing about the video is the filming of the return to home feature. The fir minute is kinda repetitious, the remaining is the actually return to home and landing on it's own. The drone is kinda high since at the distance I was flying I didn't want to lose signal.

Don that is really neat. I can see where the drone can become addictive. Very different perception of where we live . That is quite a hole in the ground. Is it as rock quarry?
David

One of the things about flying a drone is the ability to do aerial photography and I am in the learning phase of getting to do it on this drone. There a quarry a ways away from my house so yesterday I flew out to it to get some idea as to how big is was. one of the scary things is the proximity of the homes are to the actual excavation. One good rein storm and those folks are gonna be down in the quarry. Here is a video I shot showing the quarry and the surrounding area. The cool thing about the video is the filming of the return to home feature. The fir minute is kinda repetitious, the remaining is the actually return to home and landing on it's own. The drone is kinda high since at the distance I was flying I didn't want to lose signal.
Cool video. :thumb: One of the things that amazed me when I started flying (and it still does) is just how stable the video is, even when the wind is buffeting the drone around a bit. The camera gimbal is awesome.

A friend of mine is an avid rc'er. He says the $199.00 drone from Walmart is about as good as they can get. I'm considering getting one.
Your friend is wrong (it's nowhere near as good as they can get), but it looks like it has some of the features the more expensive drones have, and it should still be a fun little drone to fly. It's gotten OK reviews from various drone guys on the YouTube but the main con on the list is the camera quality and the fact that it doesn't have a stabilized camera gimbal or electronic image stabilization. It seems to fly pretty well but it's not a very good "camera tripod in the sky" like the more expensive drones are. It'll probably take OK still shots, but is pretty sub-par in the video department.

Last edited:
as good as they can get.
like Vaughn said that's far from the truth. The HS drone will get you into the game and the good news it wont break the bank. Its under 250 gram so it doesn't need to be registered and also no remote ID requirement. If you just want to get your feet wet it' will do that. It will take picture, kinda like having a Kodak Instatmatic. Takes still pictures just. I have seen movies taken with that drone or its bigger cousin and they made me sea sick, There is no stabilization so maybe if your not moving and there is no wind it would work but as a movie camera not so much. But hey for $200 at least you would be flying. I love my mini 4 BUT that said I am already thinking about my next drone. It is a slippery slope.

...I love my mini 4 BUT that said I am already thinking about my next drone. It is a slippery slope.
Which points out another thing Frank might look into. A lot of people upgrade to better drones over time, so the used market might be a good place to get a better drone for a reasonable price. For me, a drone is a camera that happens to fly, not a flying machine that happens to have a camera. I've never done well when I've bought bargain cameras or lenses, but I've bought several really nice used ones.

Frank if your shopping and want a great unit that wont brake the bank look at the DJI mini 4K it just a little more money than the one you were looking at but is a whole lot better drone. Keep one thing in mind there is a reason why dji ownsthe drone market with a 70% market share.
This is solid advice. :thumb: My 1st generation Mavic Mini is roughly the equivalent of the Mini 2 SE which just has the 1080p camera. But for the extra $20, the one you linked to (the Mini 4K) is a better deal. :yes:

The mini 4K is the latest low end drone from dji and all the ratings I have read rate it very well.
It's not the same as my Mini 4 Pro but it also is not the cost. the 4K is a great unit. Now if you want to go high end look at the Mavic 3 Pro with its " 24mm Hasselblad camera" but right now I am still learning so not for a while.

well the good news it is less than 250 gm so no need to register or no need for remote id. It does have gps so that a plus and a 4k camera. I see nothing about the stability for the gimbal so I am going to assume it doesn't have it but the gps will make it a bit more stable in the flight mode. All in all not a bad drone for the price.

I still think the dji min 4k is a better drone but maybe you not interested in spending the extra $100.