New Poll: The Toni Challenge Take 2!

When should this woodworking challenge end?

• Deadline : January 30, 2023

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Deadline: February 28, 2023

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Deadline: March 30, 2023

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I messed up the first version of this poll, so here goes Take 2:

As discussed in this thread, Toni Ciuraneta has proposed a woodworking challenge and so far at least ten of us have said we'll participate. (There's still time to join in on the challenge...all skill levels are welcome!) These challenges are a fun excuse to spend some quality time in the shop and share the experience with other Family members here, so the more the merrier! If this sounds like something you'd like to participate in, comment in Toni's thread that you'd like to join us.

It seems the best time to start this challenge will be October 1, 2022. Toni has asked that we post a poll to help us decide a few details about when the challenge should end. Please help us decide. :thumb: Toni has reserved the right to choose what the actual project will be after all the participants . :) (My vote is still for a scale model of the Eiffel Tower, lol.)

I voted deadline March 30th. That allows all who want to participate the ability to do so. Thus we can start whenever we want and use a two month period of time. Worst case scenario, pm Toni when you start and pm with a picture when you are done and hopefully it falls within the 2 month period. What do you think of that Toni?

I have questions for you guys. What skills are we talking about? What kind of project are we talking about? I don't have flat woodworking tools any more. I sold all that stuff off last year. I am down to a lathe, a couple of chop saws, a band saw and a drill press and a couple of small belt sanders.

The dates being considered are not the best for me as I don't even walk by the shop when it is cold. By March it may be warm enough for me to work.

This site has a great bunch of guys and I would enjoy participating if I can. It depends....

I have questions for you guys. What skills are we talking about? What kind of project are we talking about? I don't have flat woodworking tools any more. I sold all that stuff off last year. I am down to a lathe, a couple of chop saws, a band saw and a drill press and a couple of small belt sanders.

The dates being considered are not the best for me as I don't even walk by the shop when it is cold. By March it may be warm enough for me to work.

This site has a great bunch of guys and I would enjoy participating if I can. It depends....
Hi Mike.
That’s where the challenge is. Do not worry about that, the project will be able to be done even with the most elementary tools one may have. The less tools you have the more creative you’ll need to be though. Take it as MacGyver challenge.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I will do. I will offer prizes to the first three places. They may not be much more than a popsicle stick with a face painted on it but at least it will be something.

That is the least I can do.....the very least.
Thanks a lot Mike! You are the first one offering a prize.

I will offer a prize. That is IF I am able to participate, due to timing constraints.

Maybe a Whale of Seahorse or Cardinal.

At this time I don't know what the prize will be, but it will be something nice.

It will be a surprise

I have already given a nice Wolfbox and a nice Family Woodworking sign, so this will be no less as nice.

I will offer a prize. That is IF I am able to participate, due to timing constraints.

Maybe a Whale of Seahorse or Cardinal.

At this time I don't know what the prize will be, but it will be something nice.

It will be a surprise

I have already given a nice Wolfbox and a nice Family Woodworking sign, so this will be no less as nice.
Well Leo… The stopwatch will start counting down on October first until the deadline that results from the poll. I appreciate you giving a prize as well. I hope it will motivate more people to participate, so I hope it will suit you.

Talking about prizes.
Please confirm wether I am right:

Mike Stafford is offering three prizes for the first three finalists
Dan Noren is offering one his wooden nickels as prize
Leo Voisine is also offering a nice prize provided timing allows him to participate.

To be honest, I haven't made up my mind about that. Given the fact that everybody is voting for a 6 months deadline, I believe it would be good for the forum to post as one progress along the way, but that would eliminate the wow! surprise at the end. The purpose of the whole thing is to stir up some participation and coments. We can set up a poll about that.

Vaughn... May I ask you to set up another poll please?

Option 1 post pics as the project progress
Option 2 post process and final pic at the deadline.

In any of the options and to keep it easy to follow each participant should start a thread of his own project. and the name should be " XXXXX challenge" where the X is the name of the project.

To be honest, I haven't made up my mind about that. Given the fact that everybody is voting for a 6 months deadline, I believe it would be good for the forum to post as one progress along the way, but that would eliminate the wow! surprise at the end. The purpose of the whole thing is to stir up some participation and coments. We can set up a poll about that.

Vaughn... May I ask you to set up another poll please?

Option 1 post pics as the project progress
Option 2 post process and final pic at the deadline.

In any of the options and to keep it easy to follow each participant should start a thread of his own project. and the name should be " XXXXX challenge" where the X is the name of the project.

Toni,

Yes I agree about the pictures and the participation, but there is a lot of conflict with time frames. Personally I do these kinds of projects a little here and a little there. It may be a month between the first little here and the next little there. I am willing to hold my progress pics until within a month of the final date and post a progress thread all at once.

Sorry if I am convoluting this, but this is how my shop runs. Maybe not so professional, but I do work on several projects at one time.