TN MVD Surgery

Just a quick note, Emiko has come through the surgery OK, I guess, I was able to sit with her in ICU for a few minutes she was awake and could talk a bit. I did not get to talk to the surgeon as he was already doing another procedure, and the nurses would not tell me anything, they said I had to talk to the surgeon....... next week! :eek:
I figure that everything is OK then, if there was a problem, I'm sure that would have come up.

Thanks to all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers.

Stu

Good thoughts and positive energy heading your way for a complete recovery and an end to the terrible pain. Glad to hear the surgery went well.

I had a busy day today, and I did not get a chance to go for a visit until after 6:00PM, so I missed my dinner date with my wife.
She ate dinner and said she enjoyed it, first real food she has had since the night before the operation. The hospital food is actually quite good here, believe it or not!

Emiko is sitting up in bed and doing quite well, she is still a bit dizzy, but that is to be expected, after all they did drill a 1" hole in her skull! As the incision is right behind the ear, there is some effect on balance, so she is confined to bed until maybe tomorrow. She has some pain, but she is on regular pain meds now, not the Anti-Convulsant meds she was on for the TN, and she has had no TN type of pain at all. This is the first time she has been off these meds since last September, so when she found out she was off them and no pain came she was kind of shocked but also really happy.

She has a week in the hospital to go, then back home, it seems the most common problem people who have had this surgery is that they start too feel better, then they over do it and wind up back in the hospital. I'm going to do my level best to make sure this does not happen! I think the hardest part of the recovery for her will be to just relax and do nothing for a few weeks.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the prayers, good vibes and kind thoughts.

Cheers!

Stu

My thoughts are with you and yours Stu. Sounds like things went well and I hope for a much improved quality of life for Emiko and your whole family. There's still a lot of things we can't fix but, the state of medicine today is quite impressive from only a decade ago. All my best.

Hi Stu,

Just saw this today. So glad she is through the surgery ok. If you need some help from me give a call. I drove near you house yesterday on my way to son's place. Talk to you soon and my best to Emiko.

Hmmm, Forstner Bit, or Plug cutter? :chair:
In all seriousness, I'm curious how they patch the hole if they don't keep a plug of skull!

I too was curious, but I knew I'd get kicked under the table if I asked how the drill the hole.

Here is a drawing of the titanium plate they screw on after the surgery...

PE-MVD5.jpg

Stu, so glad to hear that Emiko is doing better. She'll be fine and all you have to do is make sure she follows doctor's orders. Thinking of you both. Aloha, Tony.

I'm so happy to hear of this good outcome Stu. Keep her on the right pace.
By the way, look after yourself too. They're depending on your rock-solid support and can-do ( I think it's Can-do, actually :D ) skills to keep everything working there.

Prayers for the recovery process on their way! Sorry, I've been on a trip to Virginia for the past 8 days and just now seeing this. Hey Stu, I've got an idea....will she obey her mother? If so, tell the monsterinlaw that her duty is to keep Emiko quiet for the prescribed period of time! Jim.