Search results

1. Charles Lent

I may have saved a friend's life Wednesday

I had met with a friend and his wife for lunch on Wednesday. I was there and seated a few minutes before them and when they arrived, he was acting a bit drowsy, like he had just woke up. His speaking was slightly garbled, and I at first considered that he maybe did just wake up, since the...
  2. Charles Lent

I dodged the bullet ---Again

Since 2000 I have been having heart problems, off and on, every few years, as well as several of the older common problems of old age. Yesterday I needed to go back and have my Heart Doc add two more stents to my heart arteries. He also opened up an already existing stent to a larger diameter...
  3. Charles Lent

Have you ever been troubled by your ROS power and vacuum hose catching on the end of your workbench when you were sanding?

I have, and solved this quite easily some many years ago. I bought a rewinding plastic clothes line reel and attached it above my sanding bench. I use Velcro ties to bundle the vacuum hose and power cord together and hang both from a hook attached to the ceiling beam above the bench leaving...
  4. Charles Lent

I'm making "Apple Boxes" again

About a year ago I made two sets of "Apple Boxes", a name coined by the early movie industry for closed boxes that can be stacked to raise something in 1" increments up to 15". The full size are closed boxes (spacers) 12" X 20" in size and in heights of 8", 4", 2", and 1" that can be stacked to...
  5. Charles Lent

Grandfather Clock Repair

Friday I spent some time in my shop, picking up and putting away, to make it useable again, but also started rebuilding the pendulum door for a grandfather clock that belongs to a close friend. The clock was built by his grandfather, I guess about 70 years ago, so it is very precious to him...
  6. Charles Lent

Cut My First Reindeer In Almost 2 Years Today,

I'm finally getting back into my woodshop and making something again. Health issues had just about completely put an end to my woodworking two years ago. I lost almost total use of my right leg, and none of the doctors could figure out what was wrong with me. Then last January a mild, but large...
  7. Charles Lent

How To Cut 3-D Reindeer on a Scrollsaw - Part One

This mostly describes how to make compound cut reindeer with a scroll saw, but the technique applies to all compound (3D) cutting on a scroll saw. You are going to have to have a good pin less blade saw that has been aligned well to be successful. The blade must be absolutely straight (90 deg)...
  8. Charles Lent

Violins

For those of you who enjoyed Marta Z and her electric violin, here are her songs for today Enjoy. Charley
  9. Charles Lent

A table saw infeed table

These can be quite handy when the need to cut long stock or cross cutting of pieces using the miter gauge that are wider than the space between your saw blade and the front edge of your saw requires that the miter gauge head needs to overhang the front of your saw. Yes, you can flip the miter...
  10. Charles Lent

A Woodworker And His Unique Segmented Plate Jig

The attached link is a tribute to a very talented older woodworker and his unique segmented plate making system. It is located on a photography forum, of which I am a member. The forum website is named after the member that created and runs it. The photographer posted this to the photography...
  11. Charles Lent

Something has changed. Is it my computer or the website?

All of a sudden every page on the forum that I open is huge. Like so big that I can't see much of it at a time, and what I am typing now has 1/2" high characters on the screen of my laptop. If I move it to my 50" monitor, it is like looking at a billboard on a highway. I'm not this old to need...
  12. Charles Lent

How to move a shed - Amish style.

This was posted in NCWoodworker.net but I thought most of you would appreciate watching it too. Charley
  13. Charles Lent

I made myself some Apple Boxes

I decided last week that my photo/video studio needed some Apple Boxes, so I made two sets of them, partly because I wasn't impressed with the ready made ones that are for sale, and partly because I needed something to keep me busy during this lock-up. I have a shop with cabinet making...
  14. Charles Lent

A Different Kind Of Drill Press Table

A few years ago I made this drill press table for one of my bench sized drill presses and have dedicated it to doing small part drilling where many parts need the same hole drilled in the same location. I recently realized that I hadn't posted it, so here it is. The table is just a piece of 3/4...
  15. Charles Lent

For you Organ Builders

Not sure where this post belongs, so please move it if this isn't the right forum. I found this photo on a Photography Forum and thought you organ builders might like to see it, but maybe it's one of you...
  16. Charles Lent

Horse Barn

Some years ago I built this toy horse barn for my grand daughter. The agreement was that I would build it if she and her mom would paint it. It was mostly built from Baltic Birch plywood with poplar being used for most of the trim. The roofs were grooved via shallow cuts on my table saw to...
  17. Charles Lent

A Few Tote Bins For My Smaller Size Shop Production Projects

I made 12 of these from 10mm Baltic Birch to use in my shop . A cabinet shop near me has a huge pile of 1' X 5' drops from some large project they are making, so are selling these for $0.50/ft or $2.50 each. I picked up 30 and will likely be going back soon for more, since I've used a bunch of...
  18. Charles Lent

Rural Mailbox 3 1/4" High

Not really carving, but I couldn't find a better place to put this. Mods, please move or delete this post as you choose. This is a compound scroll saw cutting of a pattern by Dianne Thompson, but I made a few small modifications before cutting it. This is one of the new items that I'm...
  19. Charles Lent

A Different Kind of Drill Press Table

I saw the idea for this drill press table on a YouTube website. The site owner is a German fellow who has quite a few "outside the box" ways of doing things and he is quite talented. His name is Stephan Pohnlien" (hope I spelled his name correctly). Thanks for the idea Stephan. I made this...
  20. Charles Lent

I Made A Few More Tool Boxes Last Week

Last week I made these boxes to keep my scroll saw blades and small hand tools that I use when working on the scroll saw all together and better organized They are similar to other "dedicated use" custom tool boxes that I've made over the years to keep special tools and their accessory parts...